Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Palo Duro Canyon, TX

We drove 12 miles down the road to see the Palo Duro Canyon today.  It's called the, "Grand Canyon of Texas".  It's not quit that big, but it is a very pretty State Park. This is just a portion of the Canyon as you first enter the park. We unhooked the Honda and drove it there.


We entered the State Park and bought a year pass.  We will probably be in Texas for awhile and may stay at other Parks.
It was a bit hazy and overcast and I'm sure it hindered bringing out the full colors of the Canyon.





This guy was pretty brave crossing in front of us.


The water crossing reminded me of the river we had to cross in order to get to the ranch house that we lived in, near Leakey, TX.



This was 2 of 3 crossings like this.




It's a stick and not a snake.  I was taking a picture of the cactus and didn't even notice that until I pulled the pictures to my computer.  Sure glad it wasn't a snake.








There are many hiking/biking/horse trails through the Canyon.  We took a walk down one of them.













There are a few cabins and these "cow huts" to stay in.  Somehow this did not look inviting to me. 



The rock formation in the center of this picture is called, "The Lighthouse".  There is a 6 mile round trip hike out to see it.  I was glad we could see it from this place.  The clouds were beginning to roll in and there were thunderstorms predicted with flood warnings.  So, we decided to heed them and wrap up our visit.




This little lizard didn't think that I had seen him.  Shhhhhh.


As we were driving back to the Whale, it began to sprinkle.  Then, it let loose. I can't seem to get the video to upload here, so I'll post it straight to Facebook.


I can see some blue sky and it has stopped raining.
Tomorrow we plan to move down the road about 82 miles to Caprock State Park for a day or two.



Hope you got just the right amount of rain today!

Blessings,
Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment