Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Two Days out of Colorado

Did I Tell You?


It has been 13 years since we have been up this way.  We took the Whale down country roads and just enjoyed the scenery.  At least I do, Craig, not so much.  Not sure why the Lord puts people together with so many differences, but then turned us into best friends.  And, the good news (besides the Gospel of Jesus Christ) is that Craig and I both love to fish.  We are on our way to our old "fishing hole".  When I was young my folks saved and planned all year for our vacation to Minnesota.  I loved everything about those trips.  Craig's family always went over to Barbee Lake in eastern Indiana.  After we were married and got back to regular vacations (Craig was in the Air Force until 1980), we took our three kids and sometimes some of their friends with to MN.

Let me back up.  We left Colorado on Tuesday and did I tell you how hard it is to leave all of that family behind????

We hooked up the Tail to the Whale and when we tried out the lights, we had problems.  Not a good way to start out on a fishing vacation.  We spent 3 hours working on it and finally took it back to the place that installed the wiring on the Honda and they found a short and fixed it.  Poor Craig had been making new "umbilical cords" to connect the two vehicles together thinking that was the issue.  Did I tell you how good it feels to have the heater fixed and the tail lights all working for more than one day in a row?

The Whale travels well doing 55 to 65 when pulling the Tail (Honda) and we don't like to do much more that 300 miles tops.  We stopped last night in North Platte, NE in a wonderful campground called Holiday RV Park, with a wonderful pool.  265 miles after a very late start to the drive.  We both couldn't wait to soak the day away and we had the pool nearly to ourselves.  We ate a big salad for dinner or supper (depending on where you are from) and could not wait to get to sleep.  Time change or no, we both slept like rocks.  Well, we may have turned over once or twice, so guess I shouldn't use that analogy.  I was so tired, that I didn't take one picture nor did I really care.

The Lord just seemed to clear the bad weather out before us both yesterday and today.  We did drive in some wind and the clouds looked really mean, but we only had a slight sprinkle all day.

Heading out through northeast Colorado
Heading into Nebraska
Jim Valentine... here's your sign.
Valentine is a nice town


Marshlands of  South Dakota
Craig saw these old classic cars in one lot
If you zoom in on these wild flowers and know what they are, please let me know.  Beautiful.  Made me homesick for Texas Blue Bonnets.

Chamberlain, SD
We stopped at a scenic overlook.  I love these historical places. Craig, not so much, he stayed with Whale while I braved the wind and cold to see what there was to see.  It a great tribute to Veterans and also a memorial to Lewis and Clark.
My older brother, Bob has a Purple Heart and I thought this was really nice of the State to do.  I'll get to see Bob in a couple of days.




  IF you can zoom in on this photo, you can see a bit of history.

This is the bridge that was spoken of on the plaque above.

On the way back I noticed that The Whale found a like species.
Wouldn't they make a nice couple?  Maybe they would produce a 5th Wheel?



 348 Miles today.  We are in a nice park in Mitchell, SD.  The sun came out and all is well.  Actually, on the other side of the RV is poor Craig.  He was trying to fix the sprung door.  I did it.  While we were getting the electrical problem fixed yesterday, I forgot the steps were out and whacked my shin, as I looked down to see what I hit, I realized that my other leg was not going to keep me from hitting the ground.  So, I grabbed onto the door.

Have I told you how much Craig loves to fix things on the Whale?

Tomorrow, if the Lord makes a way, we plan to drive into MN and spend a couple of days, somewhere, putting together our fishing gear.  Hoping that we brought along everything that we think we did.

Tomorrow is a Special Day for us, too.









No comments:

Post a Comment