Sunday, June 23, 2013

Friends, Fishing and Family


The last time we were in Minnesota was August of 2001.  We drove up with my parents and stayed on Little Boy Lake at the Rainbow Bay Resort.  We often fished in front of the same house and we actually developed a friendship as the home owner would come out to see if we were catching anything.  I emailed with Lorin for several years and then we lost touch.  On Friday we spent some time back in that spot and Lorin came into the dock in his boat.  He is now nearly 80, but after we chatted, he remembered us and we reconnected with emails and he sent me this photo that he took and still has on his screen saver.  My folks are on the left and Craig and I on the right.  It was very nice to visit with him and reconnect.
Thanks Lorin!


Aug 2001

It was a good day of fishing.  We caught several fish, but only kept these 5 walleye.  Yes, we ate half of them for dinner.




I mentioned before that I had caught a huge Dog Fish one other day. Well on Friday, I caught 2.  We weighed this one at 5+ pounds and the second one I caught was larger.  They are considered a pesky unwanted fish in the lakes here.




It has been raining off and on, but we haven't really minded.  I think it's supposed to clear off more on Monday.  We did miss seeing the Moon show that the Lord put on for us all last night.  Thanks for the pictures that were posted on Facebook.

Sat we went out to fish.  It was windy and then calm and then a huge wind shift.  We could see the front moving overhead and decided to head for shore.  We made it in just before it started to rain.  It was time to go in because we were getting ready to drive to Pine River to my brother's home.  We were invited for pizza and to see my Nephew, Ryan and meet his wife, Heather and our great nephew, Trystan.

I offered to bring dessert.  It's a bit of a challenge baking in what I call my, "Easy Bake Oven".  It's only large enough for a 9x13 cake pan.  I had an offer to pick rhubarb from the camp owners garden, so I did that  while Craig made a run to the store for me to get some fresh strawberries.  We made a mixed fruit cobbler and 2 strawberry/rhubarb pies, but I had to bake them one at a time.  We had a bit of a spill over, but it's cleaned up already.

We love Rhubbarb

I had to fight the mosquitoes for every cut of this stuff!

The baked goods finally were cooked just in time to head down the road to Bob and Pam's.  We had a wonderful meal and a great time with our new and old family members.



Meet Trystan Hoshaw, AKA Twisty Ty.  This kid never stopped moving all the while we were there.  Although he was pretty quiet while eating the Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie.  I thought that was unusual for young boy.



Ryan's wife is Heather and they are a very sweet couple and have both just completed their College Degrees.  Congrats to them both!!!



It was so wonderful to meet this family and spend some time with them!

On the way back home we drove through our old Campground where we spent many vacations in years past.  I think it's only a private group of homes now and they even put a pool between Black Water and Mule lakes.  It all looked nice, but not at all what it was when we used to stay there. It's now called, Lake Haven Acres and it's a neighborhood.  

Just for family, I'll post a couple of pictures.

There are no longer any cabins on Black Water.  Here's the view from the docks.

This is the view from Cabin #1 that is for sale. These cabins run about $90,000.  Hopefully, they have been updated inside, too.  We stayed in this cabin many times.

Pool between the lakes.

No more Lake View Camp.

We woke up to gentle rain this morning that has now turned into a pretty windy rainy morning.  Time to catch up on email, blogs and phone calls!!!

I'm also on Skype and we are connected to the WiFi here.  I got to see and talk to my dear friend, Joyce yesterday.  Here's a shout out to you, girl!!!

Hope Haley gets back to California OK and that the rest of the family in Indiana is enjoying their time together.

Bless the Lord, O My Soul and ALL that is within me!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment